PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:31 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 94 time
A couple of threads were closed recently:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=695
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=850

The reasons given being:

Quote:
Nothing good can come out of this thread at this point; it has been reduced to personal attacks and petty nonsense.

Thread locked.

Sabotage's post split into a new topic (groups-split-from-icc-ict-and-the-icp-t896.html) as I think it has potential.

and

Quote:
The drama has gone on long enough, and Cmoney's account 'Rolling With Negri' has already been banned. The thread in the admin forum about the "no BA" rule has been derailed as well.

Thread locked

I am reminded of some of the worst sort of admining on RevLeft, where they were constantly closing threads that they didn't like.

I sort of think that the job of Admins on a discussion board is to be as low visibility as possible, and certainly doesn't involve deciding, which discussions are productive or not.

Devrim

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Clossing threads
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:01 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 105 time
Closed this thread for typo in title.

You making other people money
My working day has just begun
its not exactly what i would call fun
Creep has been thanked by:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Closing threads
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:13 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 844 time
The conceit's a bit eroded at this point. Mayhap something different;

But threads are ours as fruits are ours ;
He that but tastes, he that devours,
And he that leaves all, doth as well ;
Changed threads are but changed sorts of meat ;
And when he hath the kernel eat,
Who doth not fling away the shell?

Devrim wrote:
I sort of think that the job of Admins on a discussion board is to be as low visibility as possible, and certainly doesn't involve deciding, which discussions are productive or not.

Which actually seems to be Revleft policy on most of their boards.

- Friedrich Engels.

Vocatus atque non vocatus Deus aderit.

2x Security Reasons. DANGER DANGER.

Was an Admin when RM was important. Was since confused with Negative Creep for being active.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:15 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 94 time
xiantorr wrote:
I'll re-open the first thread if you like (ask me nicely), but I certainly don't see it going anywhere nor did I or some other members see it going anywhere good at the time, either.

I am not really concerned about the thread in particular. I was more sort of addressing the general idea of closing threads on a discussion forum. Also I am not really that sure of what 'going somewhere good' actually means.

xiantorr wrote:
I don't even know why anyone would object to the closing of the second thread.

I guess I look at it in a different way. I don't see why anyone would want to close a thread at all. At some point someone might decide to add something to it that some others might consider to be insightful.

Devrim

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:49 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 13 time
Devrim wrote:
xiantorr wrote:
I'll re-open the first thread if you like (ask me nicely), but I certainly don't see it going anywhere nor did I or some other members see it going anywhere good at the time, either.

I am not really concerned about the thread in particular. I was more sort of addressing the general idea of closing threads on a discussion forum. Also I am not really that sure of what 'going somewhere good' actually means.

xiantorr wrote:
I don't even know why anyone would object to the closing of the second thread.

I guess I look at it in a different way. I don't see why anyone would want to close a thread at all. At some point someone might decide to add something to it that some others might consider to be insightful.

Devrim

Or someone might decide to add something to it that others might consider not insightful - I leave that loophole open for myself! So why would anyone want to close a thread at all? Especially if the site is in danger of dying?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 63 time
This thread was from a year ago Fred, at which point RedMarx looked quite healthy from a traffic point of view.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:47 pm 
Comrade

Blake's Baby wrote:
This thread was from a year ago Fred, at which point RedMarx looked quite healthy from a traffic point of view.

Hi Blake's Baby. When you say that a year ago redmarx looked healthy "from a traffic point of view" I'm wondering what you're hinting at. Do you mean it was very busy, with not very meaningful or political posts, but the busyness hid an underlying malaise? Or is this to impose a pessimistic take on what you mean? Political posts of course did appear from time to time in those days, and in-depth economic analysis too. But in a very individualistic and somewhat aggressive style. Sort of like challenges ( I dare anyone to contradict me sort of attitude) more than informative and comradely exchanges - not that there ever were many exchanges, more jokey one-liners. But then I think comrades could sometimes feel threatened and scared off. Almost like being afraid to speak in some stupid authoritarian type class room, where to admit any ignorance or to say the wrong thing doesn't bring about an educative response in a learning situation, but triggers mockery and derision and ensures for ever that you won't speak "out of turn" again. The sort of situation so loved and encouraged by the bourgeoisie as part of their social controls. But this is a Marxist forum!! Did we sometimes forget that?

On a completely different point. I've just been reading stuff on left com where somebody says something like: organization is the outward form of expression of class consciousness and thus important. I only repeat that here because I know that one of the basic tenets of redmarx was that organization is anathema. Could that have been a mistake, or a false premise on which to "organize" a forum? Especially a Marxist forum. Surely Marxism is essentially about solidarity based on class consciousness as organized in groups? What do you think BB? Or anyone else? Or is this wrong?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:46 am 
Comrade

I mean that there was more traffic. No judgement of content intended (and no, I don't mean that as a sarcastic comment on the quality of the posting). Just that a year ago, there was more discussion here than now, because now there is no discussion.

I don't think 'organization is anathema' was or is a basic tenet of RedMarx. There are people with an 'anti-organisation' political practice and there are people with a 'pro-organisation' political practice but I don't think anyone thinks that all you need to do to form an organisation is wish one into existence.

But RedMarx never set out to be a forum for regroupment, in my understanding. I think it was set up more as a forum for clarification.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm 
Comrade

Blake's Baby wrote:
I mean that there was more traffic. No judgement of content intended (and no, I don't mean that as a sarcastic comment on the quality of the posting). Just that a year ago, there was more discussion here than now, because now there is no discussion.

I don't think 'organization is anathema' was or is a basic tenet of RedMarx. There are people with an 'anti-organisation' political practice and there are people with a 'pro-organisation' political practice but I don't think anyone thinks that all you need to do to form an organisation is wish one into existence.

But RedMarx never set out to be a forum for regroupment, in my understanding. I think it was set up more as a forum for clarification.

I also don't think anyone thinks that all you have to do to form an organization is wish one into existence, so I'm surprised you said this Blake's Baby. But does the working class ever get anywhere without organizing itself? (Does anybody ever get anywhere without organizing themselves?) At the moment the working class is almost always organized by the bourgeoisie for the purposes of the bourgeoisie of course, and is rarely able to take any form of working class autonomous action - wild cat strikes and the like. Is it futile to point out again that without self-organization the working class will go nowhere, the revolution will never take place and communism will remain a mere dream as humanity expires, and the planet too maybe, amid the stinking grip of barbarism and decay? Discovering and learning how to organize itself is possibly the most vital activity the class can engage in, that and developing its class consciousness through organizational solidarity. (I hope this doesn't sound too much like hot air?!

But even redmarx is a sort of organization isn't it? I agree that it never set out to regroup anybody, because it doesn't have anything does it that it could actually regroup anybody to. I mean no platform or set of beliefs or whatever. And as to its being a forum of clarification...well, clarification of what? Has anybody ever clarified what the purpose of redmarx''x clarificatory activities actually relate to? (They may well have, but I missed it.)

But, speaking of redmarx as a kind of proletarian organization (albeit reluctantly or not wishing to admit it- it isn't shameful after all, and in fact is today the most wonderful thing any organization could be!) If then redmarx is a working class organization why does it allow the bosses of this forum to just close down threads on their own whim without at least some discussion with the real owners of the site who are of course its working class posters? If we can't even organize ourselves sufficiently to keep a web site going how are we ever going to organize ourselves to overthrow capitalism and start building the new society in which clear and intelligent communal organization could be the main requirement?

Organizations are not just "wished" into existence, they are the conscious product of people who see the advantage of working together to achieve a delineated aim. And we have to start somewhere. . Redmarx was/is such a beginning.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:43 am 
Comrade

I'm not sure it is 'such a beginning', or was ever intended to be.

A forum is a forum; it's not a soviet and it's not a party. It's a space for discussion. The results of those discussions are not judged in advance.

If people's politics develop through discussion in the direction of organisations - they can join them. Or they can use the space to try to form their own, better organisations. But that doesn't mean the forum is the organisation.

If people's politics develop in an anti-organisational direction as a result of the discussions, they can not-join the not-organisations that don't-exist (some not-organisations seem very organised to me, with people publishing and discussing and distributing texts etc). Or they can form their own better not-organisations. Or they can really avoid anything that smacks of organistion at all. In any case, the forum is not identical with the not-organisation.

Different people have different ideas and anyway people's ideas change through interaction with others. The dynamics of clarification, though it is done collectively, are still individual. We may discuss something and though we've collectively participated, the things we individually take away from the discussion may be very different. We don't have to finish (does clarification ever 'finish'?) in the same place, or even going in the same direction. I really don't see that RedMarx ever had any pretentions to be anything other than a forum for discussion. It really isn't a 'proletarian organisation' or anything like. There is no regroupment here. What there is, is a forum for discussion, which is in part animated by people sympathetic to Left Communism (among other trends).

Report this post