A Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: Diagrams
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:33 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 447 time
Personally, I tend to conceptualise things in my head with pictures or diagrams, and I find that drawing these out helps me get a better grasp on things. I'm just going to post some of the ones that come to mind while flicking through Capital again, if nothing else drawing these keeps me actively engaged with the text.

Spoiler:

This is just a pretty simple diagram, it show's labour, in it's twofold character as useful labour and abstract labour, producing a commodity with a twofold character as a use-value and a value, and the substance, measure and form of value.

Feel free to post anything diagrammatic that you think is helpful in understanding Marxism.

"Citizen Weston illustrated his theory by telling you that a bowl contains a certain quantity of soup, to be eaten by a certain number of persons, an increase in the broadness of the spoons would produce no increase in the amount of soup. He must allow me to find this illustration rather spoony."
- Marx, Value, Price and profit -

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Diagrams
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
I have almost the exact same diagram drawn in my notes from when I first read Capital.

I'm also really tempted to post some of ckhaitsu's old diagrams from revleft in a sarcastic manner, but don't want to degrade the quality of the conversation.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 am 
Comrade

Great minds think alike, and fools rarely differ.

Spoiler:

The Value-Form is the further development of the opposition between use-value and value which is inherent in the commodity. A certain quantity x of commodity A is equated to another quantity z of commodity B. The character of A as a specific, useful product of a specific, useful type of labour is distinguished from it's character as a value, which is it's expressed in it's relation to to B. As the market economy grows, A can be exchanged for all sorts of commodities, with each of these then taking on the function of an equivalent. Finally, a universal equivalent is marked out by society, which develops into the final form of value, the money-form.

All of the individual products of labour are expressed in equivalence to one specific product of labour, the various types of labour and their products are thus equated, and their specificity abstracted from in practice, leaving us with the money-form as the final adequate expression of value as labour in the abstract.

"Citizen Weston illustrated his theory by telling you that a bowl contains a certain quantity of soup, to be eaten by a certain number of persons, an increase in the broadness of the spoons would produce no increase in the amount of soup. He must allow me to find this illustration rather spoony."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:27 am 
Comrade

Spoiler:

In the process of production, a certain quantity of capital, C consisting of constant capital and variable capital, is transformed into C', consisting of the prior two elements, plus a surplus-value. During the process of production, the labourer creates first of all a value equal to the value of his labour-power contracted by the capitalist, and secondly a value over and above this, which is surplus-value. The working day can thus be divided into two parts - the necessary labour time for the production of the value of the workers labour-power, and the surplus-labour time which produces the surplus-value which is the essence of profit, rent and interest.

This analysis shows the basis for the historical conflict between capital and labour over the working day, with the capitalist class constantly trying to extend it by various means. We know from experience that punctuality both with regards to clocking in, the timing of meals and so forth is still insisted on by capital, which nevertheless gives no care to time worked by the labourer over and above his contracted hours. Recently there was a popular reddit thread about a school custodian fired from his job for leaving 8 minutes early, unfortunately most of the vitriol was directed towards the mannerisms of the woman firing him, and not to an analysis of the underlying class antagonisms.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 am 
Comrade

Spoiler:

Three forms of capital's circulation, as money, productive and commodity capital.

Report this post