A Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: New article - Feedback appreciated
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:49 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 1 time
Hey guys, so I just posted a new article. Essentially I was hoping to give people a look at some of the movements that are currently being developed and the fact that it's the only effective way of changing the world in our favor as opposed to voting and wishing for the best.

Here's the link: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/change ... cians-wont

Post subject: Re: New article - Feedback appreciated
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
Well, the biggest problem with this article is its use of movements that offer solutions as a positive example. The whole point of Marxist analysis of capitalism is that there is no solution, at least not as long as capitalism exists. I'm just going to look at one of the examples given.

thatarticle wrote:
One such notable example of direct action community organizing is the current coalition of movements in Chicago that are working on the abolition of the police force in the face of rampant brutality and abuse. They’re working on a community-driven solution to conflict resolution. They focus on bringing as many people as they can in their neighborhoods together through peace circles and restorative justice programs. Instead of demanding punitive measures such as placing criminal offenders in jail cells, both the victim and the perpetrator are brought together in order to resolve the transgression and build a stronger sense of community so that problems are avoided in the future. The belief is that criminal behavior is driven by people being disconnected from social networks, so they focus on building those connections to solve the root issue.

Basically this "solution" proposes to replace the violence of the police with moral naming and shaming, and we should keep in mind that this replacement of police is not a black panther party lets shoot and kill any police we see fucking up our community, this is a lets behave nicely and prove we don't need to even be policed movement.

The "root issue" is not a disconnect from social networks, and even if it were we cannot reconnect to these social networks without a human community, and there is no human community so long as classes exist, the root issue is that people can't find jobs and are starving to death and behind on rent so they go and rob somewhere for some money so that they can suffer one day longer. The root issue is capitalism, which none of these movements challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:06 pm 
Comrade

I did some more reading on the fight for $15 after this article and was disappointed at the lack of actual grass roots organization internally, and I would agree that the other movements don't always challenge capitalism directly. However I think these failures are going to be part of a returning labor movement that has to rebuild consciousness after years of decline. Struggle is a process after all, and I'm not all that familiar with any other orgs that exist that are trying to take a direct action approach to struggle that isn't simply confined to "wait and vote about it". Feel free to point me to what you feel might be better indicators of social movement towards class consciousness and improving working class lives.

Broletariat wrote:
The "root issue" is not a disconnect from social networks... the root issue is that people can't find jobs and are starving to death and behind on rent so they go and rob somewhere for some money so that they can suffer one day longer.

I would argue that these issues are one in the same. A lack of disposable income is absolutely a disconnection from the community as a social body. Those people are unable to command the necessary demand over the economy due to their lack of money and ability to sell themselves to capitalists so they are disconnected from the goods they need to survive, thus leading to robbery, etc. Unless you meant social in the "I need friends sense", which is fair, but I definitely see the economic realm as a social network.

Thanks for the feedback though, I do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:10 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
Absolutely no disagreement that people aren't going to immediately begin struggling in the "correct" way. But it is our job as Marxists to urge people on to these more explicit movements against capitalism.

Your conception of a social network versus what I've commonly heard used by the types the article talks about have a pretty big disconnect I think. Usually I've heard it used to mean stuff like being familiar with your neighbors and community members and such. You aren't wrong in anything you said on that second point though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:39 pm 
Comrade

Broletariat wrote:
Absolutely no disagreement that people aren't going to immediately begin struggling in the "correct" way. But it is our job as Marxists to urge people on to these more explicit movements against capitalism.

Your conception of a social network versus what I've commonly heard used by the types the article talks about have a pretty big disconnect I think. Usually I've heard it used to mean stuff like being familiar with your neighbors and community members and such. You aren't wrong in anything you said on that second point though.

Yeah that's fair, and I figured that's probably where your contention lied. Perhaps I could have elaborated further to be explicit about economics playing a vital role in that equation.