RedMarx

A Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: To Brexit or not to Brexit?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
Great Britain is currently facing the possibility of leaving the EU, and it isn't clear which decision is best for the working class.

To Brexit

Das Kapital Chapter 10 wrote:
The first birthright of capital is equal exploitation of labour-power by all capitalists.

http://thewolfatthedoor.blogspot.com/20 ... rexit.html
http://thewolfatthedoor.blogspot.com/20 ... thing.html

On the one hand the EU is in fact a union of the bourgeois set-up with the intention of more efficiently exploiting the European working class and exploiting them in common. The possibility of a Brexit is shaking financial confidence in Britain, but the entire notion of the Brexit is apparently being spear-headed by xenophobic right-wingers. So what? One of the goals of Marxists is to oppose those types of forces that will necessarily emerge during times of social unrest. The point being to demand a Brexit that breaks with the EU's' own racist anti-worker positions.

Not to Brexit

Das Kapital Chapter 10 one paragraph later wrote:
One set of masters, this time as before, secured to itself special seigneurial rights over the children of the proletariat.

https://theplanningmotive.com/2016/04/1 ... /#comments
https://theplanningmotive.com/2016/05/3 ... /#comments

On the other hand, this movement towards a Brexit was initiated entirely by those xenophobic right-wingers, their end goal of course being the splintering of the working class along national lines so that uneven exploitation will occur across the working class. Such uneven levels of exploitation make it much more difficult to organize against a singular threat and ultimately fractures the working class. If the British working class alone is removed from the EU, that also removes its common experience with the rest of the working class that is within the EU. The point being to posit an internationalist position against the xenophobic reaction to globalization, enabling the British working class to link-up with the rest of the EU.

Who cares?

Das Kapital Chapter 10 a few paragraphs later wrote:
It will be easily understood that after the factory magnates had resigned themselves and become reconciled to the inevitable, the power of resistance of capital gradually weakened, whilst at the same time the power of attack of the working-class grew with the number of its allies in the classes of society not immediately interested in the question.

Both arguments appear to ultimately take the form of "One given section of the bourgeois benefits from staying/leaving, but that doesn't matter because we can posit the proletariat alternative to staying/leaving." The underlying content of both arguments being that working class opposition must be made simultaneously against xenophobic elements at home within Britain and the power of international capital. As far as I can tell, that means the decision is a tactical one best left to those more in touch with what the British working class is more sympathetic to. Ultimately I think either move works so long as the working class content is present, because if such content continues on, Britain and Europe cease to exist as anything other than geographic references.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:22 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 25 time
Shame that the firestorm over Brexit hasn't rekindled anything on RedMarx. But FWIW, in the course of the discussion at Libcom, where various "remain" sentiments, and I do mean sentiments rather than hard positions, were expressed, I changed from the "abstain" view, to the "exit" view-- in that any class conscious workers' movement would have opposed the UK entry into the confederation of capitalists in the first place. Any class conscious workers' movement would still oppose participation in the EU. Any future class conscious workers' movement will oppose participating in a confederacy of capitalists.

That remains the basis of my argument. I can't pretend to have anticipated the outcome of the referendum. I can't pretend to have recognized beforehand that indeed the inadequacy of the current mechanisms and institutions for protecting capital would lead to the Brexit vote.

Whatever justifications the "left" offered for voting to remain, the bottom line of the justifications was the adherence to the status quo-- the status quo of capitulation to Labor, to New Labor, to an organization so inhumane and barbarous in its treatment of refugees that even MSF (Doctors Without Borders) returned in protest the funding the EU had awarded it.

Now, I think this vote to leave indicates that the "status quo" with its various classifications of workers-- protected/non-protected, isn't quite enough to sustain accumulation-- and has been demonstrated in Greece, and through Syriza, the deprivation and poverty must be expanded. QE hasn't done enough. Austerity hasn't done enough. Neo-liberal "market restructuring" hasn't done enough. Hollande's "labor restructuring" won't do enough.

The EU doesn't collapse so much as it decomposes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:40 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 31 time
For current events, I just rely on a good Trotskyist site, like WSWS, which held to active boycott https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/0 ... e-j13.html

They have a daily podcast even.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 25 time
I can understand "boycott" or "abstain," but that passive approach just irks the f out of me.

Report this post