A Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: Protests erupt across Brazil over high costs and poor servic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:29 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 17 time
Brazil experienced one of its biggest nights of protest in decades on Monday as more than 100,000 people took to the streets nationwide to express their frustration at heavyhanded policing, poor public services and high costs for the World Cup.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... huge-scale

in most other news i've read it was over 200000 people on the streets. seems a bit like the turkey protests in the past weeks, most certantly very interesting.

It is true that labor produces for the rich wonderful things – but for the worker it produces privation. It produces palaces – but for the worker, hovels. It produces beauty – but for the worker, deformity. It replaces labor by machines, but it throws one section of the workers back into barbarous types of labor and it turns the other section into a machine. It produces intelligence – but for the worker, stupidity, cretinism.
per levy has been thanked by:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Protests erupt across Brazil over high costs and poor se
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 63 time
There have been pics of the protestors carrying placards saying 'Resistanbul' and 'Istanbul is here'. There certainly seems to be a conscious attempt to link them together. I hope that in Turkey, people are taking heart from this.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
I'm not sure if I put much stock in what's happening in Turkey, but that's because I'm slightly ignorant about it.

When I used to speak with Devrim a few years ago and we talked about the political climate of our respective countries, I mentioned how I've never encountered anything even closely resembling a strike irl and he, if i recall correctly, mentioned that strikes are incredibly common in Turkey. This leads me to not think the current reported strikes in Turkey are terribly important, because they happen all the time. But, as said, I'm not terribly familiar with the situation and it could be something above and beyond the normal levels of class-struggle erupting and I just don't have the time to investigate it, but there's my contribution to the discussion.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 94 time
Broletariat wrote:
When I used to speak with Devrim a few years ago and we talked about the political climate of our respective countries, I mentioned how I've never encountered anything even closely resembling a strike irl and he, if i recall correctly, mentioned that strikes are incredibly common in Turkey. This leads me to not think the current reported strikes in Turkey are terribly important, because they happen all the time. But, as said, I'm not terribly familiar with the situation and it could be something above and beyond the normal levels of class-struggle erupting and I just don't have the time to investigate it, but there's my contribution to the discussion.

I wouldn't say incredibly common, but they do happen.I think that the current level of strikes is about the same as it was in Spring 2010. The protest movement is of a size that hasn't been seen in over thirty years if ever, but the level of strikes isn't comparatively high at the moment. I am not there at the moment though. I am living in the quiet of central Europe.

Devrim

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 17 time
Brazil's government says it will deploy a national security force to five major cities after a wave of protests which has seen almost a quarter of a million people demand better public services.

The national force will be sent to Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Fortaleza and the capital, Brasilia.

All of the cities are hosting games in Fifa's Confederations Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22964785

also a nice graph from the same article:

It is true that labor produces for the rich wonderful things – but for the worker it produces privation. It produces palaces – but for the worker, hovels. It produces beauty – but for the worker, deformity. It replaces labor by machines, but it throws one section of the workers back into barbarous types of labor and it turns the other section into a machine. It produces intelligence – but for the worker, stupidity, cretinism.
per levy has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 32 time

Rio^

damn.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:14 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 82 time
cool photo I saw in a news report:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 112 time
The actual acts involved in these protests are certainly encouraging, it's good to see some workers taking a fluid approach to the city environment and the various other alienations of modern life as a result, but the political demands are still elementary, if even deserving of note. The only factor I would consider significant here would be that of the social rejection inherent in these movements, which, well tremendous, will inevitably become somewhat less than potent if it remains ignorant of attempts to draw it purely into the range of the political.

Theory must be put into practice, but so to much practice find its theory...

Report this post