All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: Key Marxist-Leninist Text on Bourgeois Music
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 447 time
http://guaciara.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cardew_stockhausen.pdf

Elaboration is unnecessary.

"Citizen Weston illustrated his theory by telling you that a bowl contains a certain quantity of soup, to be eaten by a certain number of persons, an increase in the broadness of the spoons would produce no increase in the amount of soup. He must allow me to find this illustration rather spoony."
- Marx, Value, Price and profit -

Post subject: Re: Key Marxist-Leninist Text on Bourgeois Music
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 161 time
It's got Mao on the cover, says it all...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 am 
Comrade

Sarcasm plays a key part in perpetuating the bourgeois-imperialist superstructure.

"Citizen Weston illustrated his theory by telling you that a bowl contains a certain quantity of soup, to be eaten by a certain number of persons, an increase in the broadness of the spoons would produce no increase in the amount of soup. He must allow me to find this illustration rather spoony."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:00 pm 
Comrade

The sarcasm is Mao on the cover...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:14 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 661 time
I have to say that I'm actually reading this.

The worst sin we commit is that we degrade our political and organisational tasks to the level of the immediate, “palpable”, “concrete” interests of the everyday economic struggle; yet they keep singing to us the same refrain: Lend the economic struggle itself a political character! We repeat: this kind of thing displays as much “sense for the realities of life” as was displayed by the hero in the popular fable who cried out to a passing funeral procession, “Many happy returns of the day!”
Lenin, What Is To Be Done?
Искра has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 pm 
Comrade

Give us a TL;DR version once you're done pretty please?

I have no fucking idea what Stockhausen has to do with imperialism, or why that should actually matter...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:12 pm 
Comrade

If you really want to know, the background to the text is that Cardew was a British composer of avant-garde art music and a follower of Cage and Stockhausen in the 50's and 60's. In the late 60's he started to read around on Marxism, became a Maoist and decided that the avant-garde, with it's disconnect from the lived experience from the proletariat, was a bunch of ineffectual naval-gazing bourgeois academics. The point of the title is supposedly not that Stockhausen was literally writing music to promote NATO, but rather that the avant-garde music of the 50's and 60's is a product of the superstructure of a decadent imperialist capitalism.

It has a kind of reductionist logic to it I suppose, but then there's the matter of the kind of music Cardew was advocating in place of the avant-garde...

Personally I'd take one of Cage's sonata's for pepared piano anyday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Comrade

Zanthorus wrote:
If you really want to know, the background to the text is that Cardew was a British composer of avant-garde art music and a follower of Cage and Stockhausen in the 50's and 60's. In the late 60's he started to read around on Marxism, became a Maoist and decided that the avant-garde, with it's disconnect from the lived experience from the proletariat, was a bunch of ineffectual naval-gazing bourgeois academics. The point of the title is supposedly not that Stockhausen was literally writing music to promote NATO, but rather that the avant-garde music of the 50's and 60's is a product of the superstructure of a decadent imperialist capitalism.

Sounds to me like Situationist critique of spectacular art on MAO™ steroids.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm 
Comrade

Not really, the Stalinist regime was decrying the artistic avant-garde as formalist counter-revolutionaries in league with the bourgeoisie as far back as the 30's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:55 pm 
Comrade

Situationist critique is still better by a long shot though.

I like how stuff like Society of the Spectacle moves from total gibberish to spot-on after learning a bit of dialectic and the concept of alienation, then it all falls into place.

But this, yeah I'd also call it reductionist, with a vengeance though. (as pretty much all MLM stuff is eh?)
Railyon has been thanked by: