A Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: Insurgent Notes Meeting; Live and Probably from New York
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 25 time
AC article here:http://anti-capital21stcentury.blogspot.com/p/of-blind-spots-and-bollocks_12.html

Insurgent Notes article: http://insurgentnotes.com/2017/01/open-call-public-meeting/

Don't know when, but we do know where-- most probably in NYC and the CUNY Graduate Center.
Look, I'd like to think that this call for a public meeting is going to be important; better that it is important than it's just another exercise in group, or mini-group promotion.

Full disclosure (er...maybe). I'm friends with Loren Goldner. I might even say close friends. We meet regularly and have very productive discussions, with our disagreements being even more productive (might be something about my personality though-- you think?)

But to open a call for some sort of "reorganization" or reassembly of Marxists without identifying something other than "sentiments" or "principles" or "goals;" without focus on the tactics, strategies necessary to oppose this convocation of Snuff Financiers occupying government and organizing attacks on immigrants, the resurgence of Jim Crow (and that's not limited to incarceration), and the suppression of workers' resistance, isn't going to get us very far, certainly not far enough, and not fast enough.

So... let's go. In multiple senses. But let's know where, and how we travel to get there.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Insurgent Notes Meeting; Live and Probably from New York
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:21 pm 
Comrade

Well, I attended, part of the time in person; part of the time via google hangout. I find it a little upsetting, and depressing, that a meeting called in response to the election of Trump doesn't even consider the impact of voter suppression. Just sayin'

I thought the first presenters-- Aryh (?)and Claire were pretty good. Claire tried to situate the Trump victory in international context, a critical factor.

However, far too many of the presenters couched their presentations in apologies "I admit to being confused and not completely understanding what's going on....I don't know the answers to these questions, but I think it's important to raise the questions."

Well you know what? I'm not confused, I do know what's going on, and I do have some answers... and one of the answers would be-- don't hold "open meetings" that try to engage multiple topics, without first providing an overall analysis of the "economics" driving the process, the actors expressing the economics, the tasks ahead, and how we confront these tasks.

Really liked meeting and talking to the people who attended-- a great person from Arizona, Flagstaff, who's name I'll try and get later, but I really disliked the way this was structured; the lack of focus.

Half the IN, or IN associates who spoke were very clear about "not looking at this through previous historical experiences" and then we get other IN associates stating that we need to go back to the First International to find a template or a model for a proper organization.

Smart group around IN, really, but I wouldn't trust them to run a railroad-- to say "Do it this way," much less "We have to do it this way.

Again, somebody please explain to me how you analyze the Trump victory and never mention voter suppression; never mention Flint, Michigan, never bring up that Trump represents at least as much a continuity with attacks on the working class as he does a "rupture" with the "Washington Consensus."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:25 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
I was unable to view most of the meeting due to tutoring at the time, but I did catch the tail end of the meeting enough to hear the complaint that it was just the same ole same ole. Seems to me to have been a meeting to discuss action in the form of spectacle.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:42 pm 
Comrade

That person's comment is kind of the stock comment, almost a disclaimer that is pretty much mandatory at ever meeting like this in NYC. "It's all a waste of time. You people are dealing in abstractions. I don't know why I'm wasting my breath" etc. etc. etc.

I think the real problem wasn't content so much as it was structure. Talking "herding cats"-- not wanting to appear too authoritarian, too much in control has a downside, and this was it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:58 pm 
Comrade

Oh yeah, and one more thing, if I hear anyone spews any more ******** about Macomb County in Michigan , I'm going to fucking scream.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
Fair enough, I only caught the tail end of the meeting so that was just my impression from the last 30 minutes or so.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:13 am 
Comrade

Have thanks: 8 time
Quote:
That person's comment is kind of the stock comment, almost a disclaimer that is pretty much mandatory at ever meeting like this in NYC. "It's all a waste of time. You people are dealing in abstractions. I don't know why I'm wasting my breath" etc. etc. etc.

I think the real problem wasn't content so much as it was structure. Talking "herding cats"-- not wanting to appear too authoritarian, too much in control has a downside, and this was it.

Paralysis in the face of potential criticism via labels (from substitutionist to authoritarian, etc.) is a political Stockholm Syndrome.

A visceral affirmation of purpose is desperately needed.

"Better fewer, but better," indeed.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 pm 
Comrade

Link to audio archive of IN conference available at: http://insurgentnotes.com/2017/02/february-5-2017-conference-audio-recordings/

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:13 pm 
Comrade

IN's own summary of the conference to "build a radical left in the age of Trump:" http://insurgentnotes.com/2017/03/february-5-2017-insurgent-notes-meeting-summary/

Conclusion:
Quote:
So, what now? We don’t know

Perfect. Couldn't have said it any better. And then just to put the cherry on top of the whipped cream:

Quote:
Lest we be mistaken—we are not only about interpreting the world, we are about changing it. We are especially interested in hearing from others who agree.

Right, we have no clue what to do next, but make no mistake, we are about changing the world. We have no idea what that means, but it sounds good. And could be the theme of our next conference: "What Next? Don't know. Beats the **** out of Us. Let us know if you agree."

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 am 
Comrade

Read the comment in response to IN's "summary" of its conference. Wow.

Report this post