A Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome

Post subject: Das Kapital summary video
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 572 time
Edit: I'll post the completed/newest videos in the OP, I delete my videos as I go, the links in the OP should work.

Chapter 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWwFspFKPY
Commodity Fetishism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__FzR419akU
Chapter 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrExzwDA4AY

I've decided to take it upon myself to create a video that uses power point and of course my voice in order to summarise and explain Das Kapital as best I can. Ultimately I plan to cover all 4 volumes, but I shall start with Volume 1, which will probably take a while too considering I'm at around chapter 15,16,17-ish.

I wanted opinions on some more aesthetic and presentation qualities of this project. If someone could find a nice template for a background or set-up or what have you for the slides that would be nice.

I was also curious as to whether or not I should have some non-distracting music to go along with it so it's not simply my voice, the music I had in mind would be some various selections of Chopin. Probably his Nocturne Op. 9 stuff.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Das Kapital summary video
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 pm 
Comrade

I've decided not to go with music.

Any glaring errors or seriously important things I should add?

I'll give a few days for response time before posting this on revleft and changing the video to public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_-GN3_nvA

Also, would it be too terrible an idea to link to redmarx from the videos? I imagine it would probably attract trolls, but I could see some good coming from it. Ultimately I don't think it would do much at all.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 844 time
I'll have to give this another listen before evaluating it fully. I will say, though, that when you're mentioning ratios and such, you should probably put the ratios (eg. 3 fishes : 1 God) onto the screen, as otherwise it makes things a bit harder to keep track of. Your voice is pretty decent, though, which is useful. It may be worth trying to figure out a way to make the presentation something unique to the visual and audio format, as otherwise it sometimes sounds like it would be more appropriate to a written format, which is generally also easier to follow insofar as you're doing this kind of thing.

Also, more diagrams may be good. Diagrams are always good.

- Friedrich Engels.

Vocatus atque non vocatus Deus aderit.

2x Security Reasons. DANGER DANGER.

Was an Admin when RM was important. Was since confused with Negative Creep for being active.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 938 time
Internationalist wrote:
I've decided not to go with music.

Any glaring errors or seriously important things I should add?

I'll give a few days for response time before posting this on revleft and changing the video to public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_-GN3_nvA

Also, would it be too terrible an idea to link to redmarx from the videos? I imagine it would probably attract trolls, but I could see some good coming from it. Ultimately I don't think it would do much at all.

Comrade, a heartfelt salute to you for the courage and tenacity evidenced by your pursuit of this.

A couple of suggestions, questions.

When you discuss "use-value" one of the characteristics you use to define use-value is "limited in supply." I don't think the abundance or scarcity is any part of an object's use value.

Could you clarify what you mean when you state exchange value is an abstraction of use-value? IMO, it is the particularity of the use-value, which we conceive of as its functionality, that makes it useful. Exchange value becomes a characteristic attached to, embedded in, the object under certain social relations of production. The exchange value is, in itself, an abstraction.

When discussing abstract labor I think it's important to jump ahead, or jump back since Marx first proposed this in the Poverty of Philosophy, and describe how labor is made to be "homogenous" and what is the method and the measure of this homogeneity-- i.e. by making time of reproduction the measure of all labor, which is the result of compelling labor to present itself as a commodity in the markets-- useful to its possessor, the laborer, only as a means of exchange.

In discussing value, the universe of exchanges between cars, computers, shoes, etc. is the expression, the manifestation of value production but these exchanges are not the social relation that defines value; the social relation that does that is the organization of labor as wage-labor.

I know a lot of this is essentially "background" material to Marx's investigation of capital, but it might prove helpful to the first time reader/viewer

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm 
Comrade

ZeroNowhere wrote:
I will say, though, that when you're mentioning ratios and such, you should probably put the ratios (eg. 3 fishes : 1 God) onto the screen, as otherwise it makes things a bit harder to keep track of.

I will see if my video editing skills are up to the task.

Quote:
It may be worth trying to figure out a way to make the presentation something unique to the visual and audio format, as otherwise it sometimes sounds like it would be more appropriate to a written format, which is generally also easier to follow insofar as you're doing this kind of thing.

I do agree with the visual/audio format comment, having a unique set-up would be pretty cool. The difficulty lies in balancing between attention drawing and educational. If the visual/audio format is too distracting the message is lost, if emphasis lies entirely upon the message, its boring as hell (which it basically will be anyway, but if I can find a unique set up it'll be less so). I'm not all too skilled in making videos and such and am not very creative. If anyone here has any suggestions, or I will ask around my more creatively inclined friends.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:13 pm 
Comrade

S.Artesian wrote:
When you discuss "use-value" one of the characteristics you use to define use-value is "limited in supply." I don't think the abundance or scarcity is any part of an object's use value.

I should probably then clarify that I mean that use-values themselves are limited in supply.

Quote:
Could you clarify what you mean when you state exchange value is an abstraction of use-value? IMO, it is the particularity of the use-value, which we conceive of as its functionality, that makes it useful. Exchange value becomes a characteristic attached to, embedded in, the object under certain social relations of production. The exchange value is, in itself, an abstraction.

I'm actually pulling most of this from my understanding of Das Kapital posted in the Learning section here. I suppose in reflection I'm not too sure what I mean when I say exchange-value is an abstraction of use-value. I suppose I mean that exchange-value is thought of abstractly as abstract labour, versus the concrete labour infused in the actual products being traded. So the exchange-value is abstracted from use-value the same way abstract labour is abstracted from concrete labour.

Quote:
When discussing abstract labor I think it's important to jump ahead, or jump back since Marx first proposed this in the Poverty of Philosophy, and describe how labor is made to be "homogenous" and what is the method and the measure of this homogeneity-- i.e. by making time of reproduction the measure of all labor, which is the result of compelling labor to present itself as a commodity in the markets-- useful to its possessor, the laborer, only as a means of exchange.

In discussing value, the universe of exchanges between cars, computers, shoes, etc. is the expression, the manifestation of value production but these exchanges are not the social relation that defines value; the social relation that does that is the organization of labor as wage-labor.

I know a lot of this is essentially "background" material to Marx's investigation of capital, but it might prove helpful to the first time reader/viewer

This does strike me as being important. I was too focused on simply talking about the Chapter at hand, and forgot to consider my audience, I will make such amends and make a new video, hopefully with a unique format.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:46 pm 
Comrade

I believe I have thought up a method of making this interesting while not detracting from the point along with being mildly humorous.

I shall leave this a surprise until I make the next video, could be a day or two to get the supplies to do this.

Edit: I'll actually need my camera for this endeavour, so it won't happen until around next week.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm 
Comrade

I lied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuMDFerRqyY

New version, decided to simply follow the structure of Das Kapital rather than explain forward/behind too much.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:23 pm 
Comrade

Have thanks: 6 time
Thanks a lot for the videos. They were helpful.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58 pm 
Comrade

That Annoying Commie wrote:
Thanks a lot for the videos. They were helpful.

Certainly, I'll continue to make them for all of Das Kapital. I'll wait a few more days for criticism on this one before deciding to post it publicly on revleft, you can come here to see the pre-release versions as I make them.

Report this post